- Need firmware to respond to external trigger in a multiple board readout situation.
- 6 new main-boards to be fabricated and tested
- A break-out board to distribute the trigger in sucha way that the baords don't care where it comes from.
- New to get some more bonded just in case
Power supply (RAL/QMUL)
- program CAEN supply to produce the right voltages to the main-boards and the USBDAQS.
- power cables and connectors needed to distribute power from break-out boxes to main-boards and USBDAQS.
- may need a 4th break-out box. Gary was the designer. May have some spare boards but if not need to get made.
- connect the 3 scintillators up to power.
- connect the 3 scintillators up to amplifier.
- test scintillators are producing signal.
- connect up the scintillator outputs to NIM coincidence unit.
- create a NIM system to distribute ANDed trigger to the USBDAQS for readout.
- create a holder so the scintillators can be inserted into the frame with accuracy.
Random trigger (RAL/QMUL)
- set up a pulse generator to produce random triggers through the NIM crate to simulate external trigger.
- test readout chain with one board.
- test readout with multiple boards.
- Insert main-boards in frame.
- Create a holder so the scintillators can be inserted into the frame with accuracy.
- Insert all equipment into a half-height rack for easy transportation.
- Would an x-y(-z) stage for the frame make remote alignment in the test-beam easy?
- adapt software to wait for external trigger and then readout.
- create control software to launch, pause, stop etc... multiple board readout.
- test that the software works with multiple boards
- test software picks up the right configuration for multiple-boards and writes out data without interfering with other readout and that data is correctly identified so it can be stitched together later.
- test if we can read 6 boards from 1 computer w/o problem and at what rate.
- test the data is time-stamped.
- test we can stitch together the data from multiple boards.
- test that tracks are going through the right part. If not, provide feedback so can move frame to right position.
- Alignment software.
Physics Program (ALL)
- Readout "Cherwell Reference" with external ADC.
- Readout "Cherwell Strxels" with internal ADC.
- If have time look a DECAL25 and DECAL50.
- Charge sharing: use the beam to illuminate the pixels so we can see how charge is shared in a 2x2 block. Only needs one board, does not need eudet
- Calculate response and signal-to-noise for MIPs. Efficiency, purity, position resolution, cluster size, charge sharing
- Insert frame into eudet. Take data with 1 sensor. use eudet to predict position of hit. Calculate hit resolution.
- Insert frame into eudet. Take data with >1 sensor. use eudet to predict position of hit. Calculate hit resolution.
- Insert frame into beam (ignore eudet). Take data with 6 sensors. Perform track finding off-line (straight line, Kalman filtering?). Calculate hit resolution.
- Order and organise transportation.
- Customs documentation.
- Accommodation and CERN access.
- Radiation training and badging.CERN Radiation information
Pictures (courtesy of Jaap)